Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
A Book that I have been wanting to read for a while. That was written in twenty fourteen And what better than a pandemic to understand from a doctor on why “Being Mortal” is important and how we aren’t ready to face it and it’s consequences and during this time it’s an apt book to read.
Being Mortal is on the subject of “Death” – Yes, It questions why in medical we don’t discuss death as important as a “life” and how should we deal with the topic of death.
And the book questions us with some thought-provoking questions –
- If independence is what we live for, what can we do when it no longer be sustained?
- The real Issues with Nursing homes & how they are solving this problem?
- What exactly is the job of one in the medical field – Only to ensure the health & Survival? Or is it also to teach & look into the well being of one?
- Is it true – Once someone loses their physical independence – A life worth of freedom is simply not possible?
- And Scientist advances have turned the process of ageing & dying into medical experiences & why is it medical world prepared for or in today’s context wasn’t prepared for it?
You must surely read this book once not only because of what all it makes us question. But because a Doctor himself has shared his thoughts & Experiences on how unprepared we are to face Reality.
This is a slightly Emotional, Dull and emphatic read. But A Must Read